Bill Clinton. Mike Tyson. Betty White. Christian Bale. Carrie Underwood. They’re all famous, and none of them eat meat. This week, we invite you to join their ranks. That’s right ladies and gentlemen - it’s #UChicagoVegWeek 2014!
After last year’s great success, we’re thrilled to bring VegWeek back to a dining hall near you. Join us at our table in Reynolds Club as we “consider the vegetable,” pledge to reduce our “foodprints,” try great products (free samples!), and learn more about how our meals get from farm to plate.
Some studies estimate 25 percent of all anthropogenic emissions come from our food systems – what we eat has a very real impact on the world we live in. All diets require some carbon emissions, but the average meat lover contributes more than double the GHG emissions of a vegan. When it comes to greenhouse gas emissions, cutting out just one burger a week for a year is like taking your car off the road for 320 miles.
So, this week, we’re challenging you to sign the Pledge to Go Veg. Find us at our table in Reynolds Club and pledge to cut out meat from all or just a portion of your meals this week. You’ll be in cool Hollywood company.
- All Week: We’ll be in Reynolds Club from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. with free samples, recipes, and of course, The Veg Pledge!
- 6:00 p.m. on Monday, Cobb 101: Sidra James whips us into shape the vegan way! Sidra will share her meat-and-dairy free approach to an active lifestyle. She’s a certified yoga instructor, and you might recognize her from cardio kickboxing at Ratner Gym.
- 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Cobb 202: Screening of the film “Forks Over Knives.” First 20 RSVPs get dinner on us! “The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods.”
- 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Harper Memorial Library 130: Screening of the film “Food, Inc.” First 20 RSVPs get lunch on us! “In Food, Inc., filmmaker Robert Kenner lifts the veil on our nation’s food industry.”
- Keep an eye out for the VegWeek logo in the dining halls – Veg Pledge-friendly items will be marked!
- Check out our Facebook and Twitter for fun facts about food all week.
Bon appétit, UChicago!