Big thanks to the Phoenix Sustainability Initiative for being a huge partner in our zero-waste Earth Day events on Saturday, April 22! Many PSI members have volunteered to educate campus guests about zero-waste and provide assistance with sorting, composting, and recycling at all events. Thank you!
The 2017 Campus Earth Day activities will be run as zero-waste events! This means we are taking steps to reduce the amount of waste generated from the events, while diverting as much waste as possible from landfills through composting and recycling.
Day of event: Volunteers will check-in at the table located outside of the entrance to Stagg Field on 56th Street and receive a free UChicago Earth Day T-shirt. All volunteers should wear these shirts during their shift so they can be easiely identified as a zero-waste expert. Please check email for your confirmed sign up shift or email with any questions.
Student volunteers are crucial to the success of Earth Day and the zero-waste endeavor. Volunteers will provide information and education to attendees at all events about zero-waste and provide assistance with sorting for composting and recycling.
Volunteers will be divided into two-hour shifts running from 9 a.m. - 5.p.m. on Saturday, April 22.
- All volunteers will receive a free UChicago Earth Day T-shirt.
- Each volunteer will be assigned to a zero waste station, pictured on on the right.
Volunteers are critical in educating event attendees and athletes, and helping them sort waste into appropriate bins. There will be signage to assit, however, it’s important for volunteers to intervene to ensure food is deposited into the correct bins.
- Learn about zero-waste practices
- Create environmental awareness
- Make an impact on the campus community and beyond
- Provide service for campus sustainability
- In addition, student organizations that provide more than 3 volunteers will be recognized on the University’s official Earth Fest 2017 website.
Thank you for your service!