Environmentally preferable purchasing empowers the local and global economy. The University is engaged in a number of sustainable purchasing projects and supports sustainable purchasing in the community. For example:
- Wind power provides 5 percent of the energy used for campus dorms.
- Campus employees can purchase recycled paper, printers with double-sided printing capacity, and compact fluorescent bulbs at the University’s BuySite.
- Local organic vegetables are available as close as the 61st Street Farmers Market, which runs from mid-May to late October on 61st Street between Dorchester and Blackstone Avenues.
- All bathrooms on campus managed by Facilities Services provide tissue paper with 20% post-consumer recycled fiber and paper towels with 40% post-consumer recycled fiber.
- Get tips on hosting a green student event, greening your office, and more at our Resources web page.